Saturday, October 17, 2009

Well, it's been a productive week here, despite some challenges: I wrote 9 poems for John Ballam, which I need to type into the computer-machine and edit by Monday. Also, I'm working my way through "King Lear" at the moment for Shakespeare. I'm hoping I think up an essay topic soon.

The challenges were mostly of a physical nature. I've been quite ill all week, functioning with the help of dayquil and a lot of tea. My respiratory tract is all messed up, I think I have a sinus infection, and to top it all off, I woke up this morning with conjuctivitis. Pink-eye. So I'm finding out where the closest clinic is. I suppose it wouldn't have been a trip to England without some sort of brush with the NHS.

Today I go to sing a concert, though I'm not really sure for whom or why. I've gotten emails from some dude who's recruiting singers for today event. There's only 16 of us, and we're doing a bunch of stuff I've never heard of before (though it is VERY British). Stanford's Magnificat for double choir and his "Eight Partsongs", "Songs in Honor of Queen Victoria" by Stanford, Stainer, and Parry, and Parry's "Songs of Farewell". We rehearse for two hours this morning, three hours this afternoon, and perform tonight. We're about to find out just how well I sight-read. Wish me luck, I'm a little concerned about my ability to sing while I'm this sick. But whatever. "The spirit is willing..." and all that garbage.

More poetry to come when I finally get this week's crop typed in. I haven't been taking many photos, mostly because I prefer night photography and the town itself has amazingly poor lighting for such an enterprise. But I'll see what I can do.

Enjoy the weekend. Cheers.